All of us can all use a little encouragement that rebuilds our strength and fortifies our souls. Here are 23 great quotes that honor perseverance, courage and wisdom:
1) Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
– A.A. Milne
2) The most beautiful people I’ve known are those who have known trials, have known struggles, have known loss, and have found their way out of the depths.
– Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
3) Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, vision cleared, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
– Helen Keller
4) Frodo: “What are we holding onto, Sam?”
Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for.”
– Frodo and Sam, from “The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers”
5) We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.
– Malala Yousafzai
6) If you’re going through hell, keep going.
– Winston Churchill
7) The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.
– Ayn Rand
8) It is worth remembering that the time of greatest gain in terms of wisdom and inner strength is often that of greatest difficulty.
– Dalai Lama
9) Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.
10) The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.
– Alice Walker
11) Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.
– John Wayne
12) I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.
13) Hardship prepares ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny.
14) Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion.
– Truvy, from “Steel Magnolias”
15) Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you.
16) Courage isn’t having the strength to go on – it is going on when you don’t have the strength.
– Napoleon Bonaparte
17) It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.
– Babe Ruth
18) Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb but how well you bounce.
– Vivian Komori
19) When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate. And when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.
– Shauna Niequest
20) If you find yourself constantly trying to prove your worth to someone, you have already forgotten your value.
21) Some people come into your life as blessings. Others come into your life as lessons.
– Mother Teresa
22) Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it.
– Rafiki, from “The Lion King”
23) It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.
– Mark Twain