I guarantee people will find something offensive in this article.
- Culture is encouraging teen girls to dress and act like sluts.
- People should be free to practice their religion without government interference.
- Israel has the right to defend itself against foreign and domestic threats.
- Don’t want to get beaten by police officers? Do what they say.
For those with differing points of view, I offer these provocative statements:
- Every male is a potential rapist.
- Religious freedom is just an excuse for intolerance, discrimination and bigotry.
- Israel’s actions against Palestinians violate human rights.
- Police officers are violent racists, and people must fight back.
I might say that I support the positions mentioned above.
I might say that I don’t.
But it doesn’t matter.
Because by now, quite a few of this post’s readers have already left the site to do one of two things:
- Go to the comment section to tell others how ignorant and hateful this post/writer is.
- Immediately share this on social media to let others know how ignorant and hateful this post/writer is.
And it would be a shame.
Because they read just a few lines of this article.
And didn’t realize this post was talking about how some folks completely miss the point and leave ill-informed comments because they read only the headline or a few lines of text.
It happens every day.
On every blog and news site.
Very few people read all the way through articles on the Web.
It’s not just my personal observation, there is research to back it up. Studies have shown that roughly 50 to 60 percent of site visitors will read an entire article. The others bounce out of the site after seeing the photos or videos or reading just a few lines of the text.
Based on these statistics, it would be safe to say:
- Roughly 40 percent of the folks who clicked on this post have read just the headline and maybe a few lines of text. Half of this group is really ticked off right now because I’m intolerant conservative, and the other half is fuming because I’m a flaming liberal.
- The remaining 50 to 60 percent of you are laughing at that group. Feel free to smugly smile because you have picked up some very valuable knowledge that makes you smarter than roughly half of the people on the Internet.
Now let’s go see what the angry folks posted, tweeted or commented.
And let’s not tell them their negligence made them look like suckers – AGAIN.